Wednesday, 31 October 2012

Thai Hilltribes






 




I have saved one set of tribes to talk about until this point in my project so that I can really investigate their use of body modification. This post is about the Hill Tribes of Thailand and their culture. What attracted me to talk about them at first when originally planning my project, was their aesthetic and the clothing they style themselves with. I love the colours, patterns, lines, textures and fabrics used in their clothing and accessories. They wear hats, beads, flowers scarves and other head decorations to complete their look. I really want their overall aesthetic to shine through for one of my final photographs. It is clear that the Idol Magazine editorial I looked at many posts ago was inspired by Thai and other Asian cultures. I loved the themes and mood of that piece and really want to use it as inspiration for my final photographs.





Fabrics and patterns influenced by Thai Culture

What inspired me most about Thai Hill Tribes is their use of neck rings. Although these have been used in many cultures, I never imagined before this project that they may have been used in Thailand. Women wear them from as young as 2 years old to give the illusion of a stretched neck for the purpose of Beauty. Although the neck appears longer on older women, this is mainly an illusion as the weight of the coils over the years have deformed the neck and shoulders of the wearer by pushing the collarbones and ribs down.




No comments:

Post a Comment